Man caught after leaving inhaler outside scene of Archway burglary
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who was caught after leaving his inhaler near the scene of the crime has been jailed.
Jason Welsh, 42, of no fixed abode, was handed a three year term at Blackfriars Crown Court on June 26 after admitting two Archway burglaries.
On May 31, a woman was at her Sussex Way home when she heard the front door go and heard the person moving around suspiciously so went to investigate.
Welsh was in her lounge carrying her flatmates rucksack – she shouted at him and tried to grab the bag off him, but he threatened her with violence and ran out.
She called the police, and described the burglar but couldn’t tell officers which way he had ran off.
You may also want to watch:
They searched the area and found the rucksack and other stolen items nearby – along with an inhaler. Forensic tests identified Welsh as the suspect.
As he was arrested on June 11, and appeared to nod in acceptance and say said “yes, the inhaler”.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 9 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
During his interview, Welsh also admitted to another burglary in Fortnam Road, on June 10 after he was found with some of the things stolen from that house.
Det Insp Paul Cheadle of Islington CID said: “I am pleased with the result handed out by the court.
“Welsh is a prolific burglar and the residents of Islington can be reassured that he is off our streets for a few years to come. “