Man charged after Clerkenwell New Year shooting
A man has been charged following the shooting of a 22-year-old man in Clerkenwell on New Year’s Day.
The 25-year-old was charged with the Murder of Aarron McKoy and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
He appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on Saturday (January 7) and has been remanded in custody before appearing at the Old Bailey tomorrow (January 10).
Mr McKoy, also from Hackney, was gunned down in Portpool Lane at around 4am on January 1, just hours into the new year.
He had been celebrating his 22nd birthday in the Clerkenwell House Wine Bar, in Hatton Wall, before being shot in the chest.
You may also want to watch:
On January 2 a 22-year-old was arrested in connection with the murder and was released on bail. A third man was arrested but released with no charge.
Det Ch Insp John Crossley said: “The venue was very busy going into the early hours of New Year’s Day and we are extremely keen to talk to anyone who was in attendance.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
He also asked businesses in the area with CCTV to get in contact urgently so footage can be reviewed.
Anyone with any information regarding the incident can call 020 8733 4212 with information, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.