Man charged after Clerkenwell New Year shooting
A man has been charged following the shooting of a 22-year-old man in Clerkenwell on New Year’s Day.
The 25-year-old was charged with the Murder of Aarron McKoy and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
He appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on Saturday (January 7) and has been remanded in custody before appearing at the Old Bailey tomorrow (January 10).
Mr McKoy, also from Hackney, was gunned down in Portpool Lane at around 4am on January 1, just hours into the new year.
He had been celebrating his 22nd birthday in the Clerkenwell House Wine Bar, in Hatton Wall, before being shot in the chest.
On January 2 a 22-year-old was arrested in connection with the murder and was released on bail. A third man was arrested but released with no charge.
Det Ch Insp John Crossley said: “The venue was very busy going into the early hours of New Year’s Day and we are extremely keen to talk to anyone who was in attendance.”
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 9 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 10 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
He also asked businesses in the area with CCTV to get in contact urgently so footage can be reviewed.
Anyone with any information regarding the incident can call 020 8733 4212 with information, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.