Man charged after Clerkenwell New Year shooting
A man has been charged following the shooting of a 22-year-old man in Clerkenwell on New Year’s Day.
The 25-year-old was charged with the Murder of Aarron McKoy and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
He appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on Saturday (January 7) and has been remanded in custody before appearing at the Old Bailey tomorrow (January 10).
Mr McKoy, also from Hackney, was gunned down in Portpool Lane at around 4am on January 1, just hours into the new year.
He had been celebrating his 22nd birthday in the Clerkenwell House Wine Bar, in Hatton Wall, before being shot in the chest.
You may also want to watch:
On January 2 a 22-year-old was arrested in connection with the murder and was released on bail. A third man was arrested but released with no charge.
Det Ch Insp John Crossley said: “The venue was very busy going into the early hours of New Year’s Day and we are extremely keen to talk to anyone who was in attendance.”
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Islington arts groups get £6.6m government Covid boost
- 8 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 Can you help identify this man?
He also asked businesses in the area with CCTV to get in contact urgently so footage can be reviewed.
Anyone with any information regarding the incident can call 020 8733 4212 with information, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.