Man charged with assault after Man Utd defender Chris Smalling shoved during Arsenal game at Emirates
- Credit: PA
A man has been charged with running onto the pitch at the Emirates Stadium and shoving Manchester United defender Chris Smalling during their game against Arsenal yesterday.
Gary Cooper, 30, of Chertsey, Surrey, is accused of common assault and going on to the playing area during Arsenal’s 2-0 win over their top four rivals.
He has been bailed to appear at Highbury Corner Magisrates’ Court on Friday, March 26.
The pitch invasion came after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored the penalty to make it 2-0.
Arsenal have also indicated the fan will be hit with a lifetime ban due to their “zero tolerance” of such actions.
Hours earlier Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish was punched in the face by a Birmingham City fan during the Birmingham derby. Grealish went on to score the winner in a 1-0 win.
- 1 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 2 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 3 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 4 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 5 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 6 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 9 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021