Man charged with murder of Highbury woman missing for 17 years
A man has been charged with the murder of a single mother who disappeared 17 years go.
Kevin Doherty, 57, is accused of killing mum-of-two Jane Harrison, of Poet’s Road, Highbury, who went missing on June 15 in 1995.
The 32-year-old was last sighted at around 5pm in the Wood Green Shopping City precinct but she has never been seen since and her body was never found. A murder investigation was launched in August 2010.
Her heartbroken mum Dillis Harrison, from Petherton Road, Highbury, died two years ago still having no idea what happened to her daughter.
She had brought up Jane’s sons Ryan and Taylor. At the time of her death in November 2010, Jane’s younger sister Claire Harrison told the Gazette: “My mum’s life stopped the day Jane disappeared. She had already lost one child when my sister Shelly died in a car crash at the age of 17, but the not knowing what happened to Jane nearly killed her.
You may also want to watch:
“She took on the two boys and did an absolutely fantastic job with them. She never asked for any help.
“But she told me that the first thing she thought about every morning was where Jane was and what happened to her.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
“Mum knew that if she went down the whole family would fold like a pack of cards, but she dealt with it by blocking everything out. The waiting and wondering night after night was horrendous for her.”
Claire added: “We haven’t got a body so we have never been able to say goodbye properly.
“The day Jane went missing she had taken the meat out of the freezer at her home in Poet’s Road and was really excited because she was going on holiday to Florida.
“I always thought we wouldn’t find out what happened to Jane until after my mum died as it was God’s way of sparing her the details.”
Doherty, of Sherwood Avenue, South Woodford, was due to appear in custody at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court today.
Anyone with information about what happened to Jane asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985.