Man who hid gun in Canonbury lift shaft sentenced
- Credit: Archant
A man who hid a gun in the lift shaft of a Canonbury building has been given a suspended sentence.
Shaun Joe, 26, of Hay Lane South, Braintree, was arrested by police on July 17 2013 after his DNA were found on a double barrelled gas gun uncovered by engineers working at an address in Upper Caldy Walk.
Along with the dangerous firearm, which shoots liquid gas to incapacitate a victim, the bag that was found with Joe’s handprint on it also contained 12 cans of pepper spray.
Joe – who told police at interview that he came across the bag by pulling it down from the lift shaft, putting his hands inside and then putting it back when he realised what was inside it – was found guilty of two counts of possessing a prohibited weapon for discharge of noxious liquid on April 15 at Blackfriars Crown Court.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for 12 months and an order was made for the disposal of the gun and the pepper spray cannisters.
You may also want to watch:
DC Alan Stewart, from Islington CID, said: “The use of firearms will not be tolerated and I am pleased that we were able to remove a dangerous weapon from the streets of Islington before anyone was hurt.
“Criminals who are prepared to use firearms in the course of their activities will be dealt with vigorously by police in Islington.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 6 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London