Michelle McPhillips invites Islington to JJ church vigil to mark one year since stab death
- Credit: Archant
The mum of Jonathon “JJ” McPhillips is holding a candlelit vigil on Wednesday to mark one year since he was stabbed to death in Upper Street.
Michelle McPhillips is inviting anyone from Islington to visit and reflect on the dad-of-two’s tragic death outside Islington Assembly Hall 12 months ago.
It’s being held at St Mary’s Church, where hundreds of people turned out for JJ’s funeral, between 6pm and 7pm.
Earlier this month, a first suspect was charged with JJ’s murder. Michael Dyra, 22, of Hoxton, has been remanded and will appear at the Old Bailey on May 15. He has also been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent, violent disorder, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Eight people have also been arrested in the case, with two released without further action.
Anyone with information on JJ’s death is urged to call police on 020 8345 3775 or phone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'