Michelle McPhillips invites Islington to JJ church vigil to mark one year since stab death
- Credit: Archant
The mum of Jonathon “JJ” McPhillips is holding a candlelit vigil on Wednesday to mark one year since he was stabbed to death in Upper Street.
Michelle McPhillips is inviting anyone from Islington to visit and reflect on the dad-of-two’s tragic death outside Islington Assembly Hall 12 months ago.
It’s being held at St Mary’s Church, where hundreds of people turned out for JJ’s funeral, between 6pm and 7pm.
Earlier this month, a first suspect was charged with JJ’s murder. Michael Dyra, 22, of Hoxton, has been remanded and will appear at the Old Bailey on May 15. He has also been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent, violent disorder, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Eight people have also been arrested in the case, with two released without further action.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information on JJ’s death is urged to call police on 020 8345 3775 or phone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos