Michelle McPhillips invites Islington to JJ church vigil to mark one year since stab death
- Credit: Archant
The mum of Jonathon “JJ” McPhillips is holding a candlelit vigil on Wednesday to mark one year since he was stabbed to death in Upper Street.
Michelle McPhillips is inviting anyone from Islington to visit and reflect on the dad-of-two’s tragic death outside Islington Assembly Hall 12 months ago.
It’s being held at St Mary’s Church, where hundreds of people turned out for JJ’s funeral, between 6pm and 7pm.
Earlier this month, a first suspect was charged with JJ’s murder. Michael Dyra, 22, of Hoxton, has been remanded and will appear at the Old Bailey on May 15. He has also been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent, violent disorder, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Eight people have also been arrested in the case, with two released without further action.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information on JJ’s death is urged to call police on 020 8345 3775 or phone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 5 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 6 Crime plummeted in Islington during Covid pandemic, new figures reveal
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 9 David Dein: Former Arsenal chief shares top tips for success
- 10 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London