Moped crime crackdown sees police bring in dispersal zone across Islington and Camden
- Credit: Archant
A borough-wide dispersal zone will be in place this weekend across Camden and Islington as police crack down on moped crime, burglary and drug dealing.
The order gives officers the power to ban people for two days from a specific area, in this case a whole borough, if they are causing trouble or are likely to. If they are caught returning, they could be arrested.
Sgt Paul Taylor of Camden police said: “This is just one option available to officers and provides potential offenders an opportunity to vacate themselves from an area prior to committing offences.
“The offences and behaviour this power can be used to deter are far reaching and in this instance includes burglary, moped enabled theft and drugs offences to anti-social behaviour brought about by the night time economy.
“This is a further example of our commitment to combat crime and disorder within Camden and Islington, using every option available to us to deter crime and anti-social behaviour.”
The order comes in at 6pm this evening and will be in place until 6pm on Sunday.
- 1 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 2 Meet the Islington-based Rangers fans who are helping food banks
- 3 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 6 Covid-19: How Islington's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 7 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 8 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
- 9 'Let's avoid another lockdown': Warning for Islington to be cautious
- 10 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close