Moped crime crackdown sees police bring in dispersal zone across Islington and Camden
- Credit: Archant
A borough-wide dispersal zone will be in place this weekend across Camden and Islington as police crack down on moped crime, burglary and drug dealing.
The order gives officers the power to ban people for two days from a specific area, in this case a whole borough, if they are causing trouble or are likely to. If they are caught returning, they could be arrested.
Sgt Paul Taylor of Camden police said: “This is just one option available to officers and provides potential offenders an opportunity to vacate themselves from an area prior to committing offences.
“The offences and behaviour this power can be used to deter are far reaching and in this instance includes burglary, moped enabled theft and drugs offences to anti-social behaviour brought about by the night time economy.
“This is a further example of our commitment to combat crime and disorder within Camden and Islington, using every option available to us to deter crime and anti-social behaviour.”
You may also want to watch:
The order comes in at 6pm this evening and will be in place until 6pm on Sunday.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington