Moped crime crackdown sees police bring in dispersal zone across Islington and Camden
- Credit: Archant
A borough-wide dispersal zone will be in place this weekend across Camden and Islington as police crack down on moped crime, burglary and drug dealing.
The order gives officers the power to ban people for two days from a specific area, in this case a whole borough, if they are causing trouble or are likely to. If they are caught returning, they could be arrested.
Sgt Paul Taylor of Camden police said: “This is just one option available to officers and provides potential offenders an opportunity to vacate themselves from an area prior to committing offences.
“The offences and behaviour this power can be used to deter are far reaching and in this instance includes burglary, moped enabled theft and drugs offences to anti-social behaviour brought about by the night time economy.
“This is a further example of our commitment to combat crime and disorder within Camden and Islington, using every option available to us to deter crime and anti-social behaviour.”
You may also want to watch:
The order comes in at 6pm this evening and will be in place until 6pm on Sunday.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 5 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 6 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 7 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 8 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington