Moped smash and grab robbery gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney will be sentenced today
- Credit: PA
A moped gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney who carried out a £1million spree of armed raids on mobile phone shops will be sentenced today.
Police believe the mob, armed with hammers, knives, angle grinders and a battering ram, were behind 17 burglaries in stores across east and north London.
During one of the robberies a witness was threatened with a firearm and security staff were beaten as they guarded the shops overnight, police said.
The 10 men either admitted or were convicted of taking part in the burglaries, which took place between May and November last year.
They will appear before the Old Bailey today.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Sean Yates, of Operation Venice which investigates moped-enabled crime, previously said: “This case has led to dangerous individuals being taken off the streets; ultimately stopping them from committing more offences and causing serious injury to potential victims.
“We are committed to relentlessly pursue those violent criminals who blight the communities they live in.”
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'