Moped smash and grab robbery gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney will be sentenced today
- Credit: PA
A moped gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney who carried out a £1million spree of armed raids on mobile phone shops will be sentenced today.
Police believe the mob, armed with hammers, knives, angle grinders and a battering ram, were behind 17 burglaries in stores across east and north London.
During one of the robberies a witness was threatened with a firearm and security staff were beaten as they guarded the shops overnight, police said.
The 10 men either admitted or were convicted of taking part in the burglaries, which took place between May and November last year.
They will appear before the Old Bailey today.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Sean Yates, of Operation Venice which investigates moped-enabled crime, previously said: “This case has led to dangerous individuals being taken off the streets; ultimately stopping them from committing more offences and causing serious injury to potential victims.
“We are committed to relentlessly pursue those violent criminals who blight the communities they live in.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 5 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 8 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?