Moped smash and grab robbery gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney will be sentenced today
- Credit: PA
A moped gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney who carried out a £1million spree of armed raids on mobile phone shops will be sentenced today.
Police believe the mob, armed with hammers, knives, angle grinders and a battering ram, were behind 17 burglaries in stores across east and north London.
During one of the robberies a witness was threatened with a firearm and security staff were beaten as they guarded the shops overnight, police said.
The 10 men either admitted or were convicted of taking part in the burglaries, which took place between May and November last year.
They will appear before the Old Bailey today.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Sean Yates, of Operation Venice which investigates moped-enabled crime, previously said: “This case has led to dangerous individuals being taken off the streets; ultimately stopping them from committing more offences and causing serious injury to potential victims.
“We are committed to relentlessly pursue those violent criminals who blight the communities they live in.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park