Nashon Esbrand: Friend organises Market Road football match to help pay for funeral
- Credit: Archant
A friend of Nashon Esbrand has organised a memorial football match to help pay for his funeral.
The match, between Nashon’s friends, will take place on October 1 at the Market Road pitches in the Cally. It’s part of a wider fundraising campaign to pay for the funeral: £2,185 had already been raised on a Go Fund Me page as of 11.30am this morning.
Nashon was stabbed to death in Mitchison Road, off Essex Road in Canonbury, on August 24. The 27-year-old had become a dad just a week before. It’s understood his body still hasn’t been released.
Ange Doua, who is organising the match, told the Gazette this morning: “Our whole friendship was based on football. He was a big Manchester United fan, like me, and our last conversation the day before he died was about Zlatan [Ibrahimovic, the legendary striker] staying on for another season.
“The next day, he was dead – I still can’t believe it.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to help raise money for his funeral and I thought: ‘What could be a better way to celebrate his life than holding a football match?’ It’s going to be two sides of people who knew him, and I’m going to get shirts with his name on.”
In a tribute to Nashon last month, Mark Maciver, who runs D and L’s Barber Shop in Hornsey Road, Holloway, said: “He would come into the shop boasting about Man United, rubbing people’s faces in it when they won. He’d be like: ‘What you saying, boys!’”
The match will take place at 2pm. Players will make a £20 donation, with admission to watch the game £5. For more information, call Ange Doua on 07722 158862. To make a donation to the Go Fund Me page, follow this link.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 3 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Walk with a map
- 7 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 8 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 9 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed