Nashon Esbrand: Friend organises Market Road football match to help pay for funeral
- Credit: Archant
A friend of Nashon Esbrand has organised a memorial football match to help pay for his funeral.
The match, between Nashon’s friends, will take place on October 1 at the Market Road pitches in the Cally. It’s part of a wider fundraising campaign to pay for the funeral: £2,185 had already been raised on a Go Fund Me page as of 11.30am this morning.
Nashon was stabbed to death in Mitchison Road, off Essex Road in Canonbury, on August 24. The 27-year-old had become a dad just a week before. It’s understood his body still hasn’t been released.
Ange Doua, who is organising the match, told the Gazette this morning: “Our whole friendship was based on football. He was a big Manchester United fan, like me, and our last conversation the day before he died was about Zlatan [Ibrahimovic, the legendary striker] staying on for another season.
“The next day, he was dead – I still can’t believe it.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to help raise money for his funeral and I thought: ‘What could be a better way to celebrate his life than holding a football match?’ It’s going to be two sides of people who knew him, and I’m going to get shirts with his name on.”
In a tribute to Nashon last month, Mark Maciver, who runs D and L’s Barber Shop in Hornsey Road, Holloway, said: “He would come into the shop boasting about Man United, rubbing people’s faces in it when they won. He’d be like: ‘What you saying, boys!’”
The match will take place at 2pm. Players will make a £20 donation, with admission to watch the game £5. For more information, call Ange Doua on 07722 158862. To make a donation to the Go Fund Me page, follow this link.
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets