Nashon Esbrand murder: Family’s agony as sentencing is delayed a THIRD time
- Credit: Archant
The grieving family of Canonbury murder victim Nashon Esbrand has been forced to cope with further torment – after the sentencing of his killers was delayed for a third time.
Dillon Zambon, 20, Jhon Berhane, 18, and a 16-year-old boy (“Defendant 3”) were convicted by an Old Bailey jury of Nashon’s murder on March 26.
Their sentencing was originally meant to happen on April 27.
This was adjourned until May 14 for further reports on Defendant 3, who inflicted the fatal stab wounds to the back of Nashon’s legs with a machete-style blade.
The case was meant to take place today. But on Tuesday, Nashon’s brother Mark Barton was told it had been adjourned yet again as the defence counsel continues to work on the case.
You may also want to watch:
It is now scheduled to take place on June 18: 12 weeks to the day since the conviction.
Mark told the Gazette: “I’m thinking about the impact this has had on my mum. It’s not going to change anything, it’s not going to bring Nashon back. But it’s still a little bit of closure to see those boys sentenced.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
“We understand how the court system works, but it feels like the defendants are getting special treatment over my family.
“These boys were convicted of murder in March and now it has been three months. My mum’s anxiety is all over the place.”
It’s not the first time Nashon’s relatives have been left frustrated by the court system.
In March, the opening of the trial was delayed on four separate days – with the family waiting in court on each one of them.
Mark continued: “My family is suffering. We recently suffered another bereavement.
“I have cousins who wanted to be in court for the sentencing but who will now be away because they already had holidays booked. We have also been planning to go away after, but we haven’t even been able to book anything.
“The impact has been a domino effect.”
Mark added: “They said June 18 would be definite. I just hope and pray that’s the final date.”
Nashon, 27, was stabbed to death yards from his parents’ house in Mitchison Road on August 24 last year.
The court heard how he was hunted and cornered by five males – two of whom have not been found – because he had spoken to police about a previous incident.
Nashon had become a dad for the first time only nine days before the attack.