Operation Hawk sees police mount drugs raids across Islington
Police have mounted home raids across Islington today as part of a major crack down on drug-related crime.
Officers have so far entered 10 addresses and made 16 arrests, seizing quantities of cannabis, crack cocaine and crystal meth.
About 130 officers will take part in searches, which began at midnight and run for 24 hours as part of the city-wide Operation Hawk initiative.
The Gazette joined one early morning raid on the Andover Estate, off Hornsey Road, Holloway, where two suspects were arrested, a middle-aged woman and a 20-year-old man.
Suspected crack cocaine was recovered after it was thrown out of a window within seconds of police storming the property at about 7.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Insp Richard Padwell, of Islington Police, said: “It’s about enforcement around drugs and we in Islington are really taking this seriously.”
Sgt Kevin Blenkinsopp, in charge of the Islington Neighbourhood Support Team, said: “This is a massive operation, involving 130 officers through the 24-hour period, which will have a significant impact.”
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 How much do you know about Islington?
- 4 Bull's head with links to 'Cally Market' going under the hammer
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
The arrests made so far are for offences including possession of class A and B drugs, possession with intent to supply class A drugs, handling stolen goods, abstraction of electricity and dangerous dogs.