Pentonville escape: One prisoner is an attempted murderer, police warn
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have urged people not to approach the two men – one an attempted murderer – who escaped from Pentonville Prison in Caledonian Road today.
Matthew Baker, 28, was found guilty of attempted murder two weeks ago, having stabbed a man in Dagenham in a dispute. He had been remanded for sentencing on November 11.
James Whitlock, 31, was on remand having been charged with conspiracy to burgle, namely 19 offences of theft from ATMs at various locations in the south east of England between December 2015 and August 2016.
Whitlock is described as a white man of slim build. He has the word “Tracy” tattooed on his torso. Baker is described as a white man with ginger hair.
It is not known what clothing either man had when escaping from the prison. Latest reports have indicated they used diamond-tipped cutting equipment to break through cell bars, before scaling the perimeter walls.
You may also want to watch:
There were also suggestions that the escape was uncovered – just before noon – when staff found the inmates’ beds stuffed with pillows in the shape of bodies. Initial reports had suggested mannequins had been left in the beds.
Police are asking the public to call 999 should they see either man, and not to approach them as they could become violent. Alternatively, to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
- 9 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed