Pervert sexually assaulted teenager on tube at Highbury & Islington
- Credit: Archant
A pervert who sexually assaulted a woman on a tube train as it reached Highbury & Islington station has been placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.
Dinesh Ponnamperuma, 35, stood directly in front of his 19-year-old victim on the southbound Victoria Line train in January, touching her inappropriately.
Ponnamperuma, of Copeland Road, Walthamstow, also admitted sexually assaulting a woman on the 230 bus, sitting next to her and touching her twice over several minutes.
In addition to being put on the Sex Offenders’ Register until 2024, Ponnamperuma was given an eight month prison sentence – four months for each offence – suspended for two years. He was also ordered to pay £150 in victim compensation for each offence, and £85 costs.
Det Con Martin Chapman of British Transport Police said: “These assaults were frightening for both women, who were very brave in reporting it – but it was the right thing to do.
You may also want to watch:
“We encourage anyone subjected to any unwanted sexual behaviour to come forward, and we will do our utmost to bring the offenders to justice.
”Through a new scheme – Project Guardian – British Transport Police has made a commitment to increase reporting of sexual assaults and unwanted sexual behaviour on public transport in London.”
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 Overground suspended in Hackney and Islington
- 4 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Even better than the real thing? Tribute bands to see in north London before 2022
- 8 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 9 Islington food bank sees applicants triple
- 10 'You can see where their priorities are': Islington reacts to the Budget
If you believe you are the victim of unwanted sexual behaviour on the rail network, contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or you can text 61016. You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.