Police appeal after Newington Green shooting
A man was shot in the face in Newington Green in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Police are appealing for information about the shooting in Burma Road, at the junction with Green Lanes, shortly before 1.30am.
Officers arrived at the scene to find a 45-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to hospital where his condition is being described as stable.
One Burma Road resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It woke me up - I heard a loud bang but I thought it was a car crash at first. There is so much noise from the clubs and restaurants round here, you tend to ignore it.
“It wasn’t until I went to get the paper the next day that I realised what had happened. It was all anyone was talking about.
You may also want to watch:
“It doesn’t worry me too much - I think in any major, cosmopolitan city you get incidents like this.”
The Trident Gang Crime Command is investigating reports that the victim was shot by a lone gunman who then fled the scene.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 3 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 4 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 10 Covid and NHS, LTNs and trees versus housing
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information is asked to call Trident on 0208 217 7355 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.