Police appeal after Newington Green shooting
A man was shot in the face in Newington Green in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Police are appealing for information about the shooting in Burma Road, at the junction with Green Lanes, shortly before 1.30am.
Officers arrived at the scene to find a 45-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to hospital where his condition is being described as stable.
One Burma Road resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It woke me up - I heard a loud bang but I thought it was a car crash at first. There is so much noise from the clubs and restaurants round here, you tend to ignore it.
“It wasn’t until I went to get the paper the next day that I realised what had happened. It was all anyone was talking about.
“It doesn’t worry me too much - I think in any major, cosmopolitan city you get incidents like this.”
The Trident Gang Crime Command is investigating reports that the victim was shot by a lone gunman who then fled the scene.
- 1 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 6 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 7 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 8 'The 214 to Provence: Where catching a London bus can take you'
- 9 Polio: Symptoms, vaccines and what you need to know
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information is asked to call Trident on 0208 217 7355 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.