Police appeal after Newington Green shooting
A man was shot in the face in Newington Green in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Police are appealing for information about the shooting in Burma Road, at the junction with Green Lanes, shortly before 1.30am.
Officers arrived at the scene to find a 45-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to hospital where his condition is being described as stable.
One Burma Road resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It woke me up - I heard a loud bang but I thought it was a car crash at first. There is so much noise from the clubs and restaurants round here, you tend to ignore it.
“It wasn’t until I went to get the paper the next day that I realised what had happened. It was all anyone was talking about.
You may also want to watch:
“It doesn’t worry me too much - I think in any major, cosmopolitan city you get incidents like this.”
The Trident Gang Crime Command is investigating reports that the victim was shot by a lone gunman who then fled the scene.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information is asked to call Trident on 0208 217 7355 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.