Police appeal after Newington Green shooting
A man was shot in the face in Newington Green in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Police are appealing for information about the shooting in Burma Road, at the junction with Green Lanes, shortly before 1.30am.
Officers arrived at the scene to find a 45-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to hospital where his condition is being described as stable.
One Burma Road resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It woke me up - I heard a loud bang but I thought it was a car crash at first. There is so much noise from the clubs and restaurants round here, you tend to ignore it.
“It wasn’t until I went to get the paper the next day that I realised what had happened. It was all anyone was talking about.
You may also want to watch:
“It doesn’t worry me too much - I think in any major, cosmopolitan city you get incidents like this.”
The Trident Gang Crime Command is investigating reports that the victim was shot by a lone gunman who then fled the scene.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 9 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information is asked to call Trident on 0208 217 7355 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.