Police appeal to identify man found in Regent’s Canal
- Credit: Archant
Detectives are appealing for the public’s help to identify the man whose body was recovered from the Regent’s Canal last week.
Police were alerted to the scene at Islington Tunnel, near Colebrook Row, just after 9am on Thursday after the body was discovered by a member of the public.
A post-mortem examination took place at the Whittington Hospital on Friday, September 25, but the cause of death is unknown at this stage. Further tests will be undertaken.
The man recovered is white, aged approximately in his 40s or 50s, around 6ft 1in tall, of medium build and had short dark hair with sideburns. His age is currently unknown.
He had a number of distinctive tattoos including a one of a lizard or gecko on his right shoulder, a koi carp on his torso and some small tattoos on the fingers of one hand.
You may also want to watch:
Enquires continue to establish the identity of the deceased.
At this early stage in the investigation the death is being treated as suspicious.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 3 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 4 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 5 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 6 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 7 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 8 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC), led by Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Reeves are investigating, and are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed anything suspicious in the area in recent days.
DCI Reeves said: “We need to identify this man so we can get in contact with his family or next of kin and start to understand what has happened. Anyone who recognises the description given or saw this man in the area of Muriel Street N1 and the Regent’s Canal please get in touch”.
Anyone who can assist is asked to contact police via the incident room on 020 8721 4868, alternatively, the police non-emergency line on 101 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.