Police hunt two men for gangland-style execution on Islington estate
Detectives investigating a double shooting in Islington believe the victims were ambushed by two men in a gangland-style execution.
One man is dead and another is still in a critical condition after they were gunned down outside Strang House, on the Cummings Estate, off Britannia Row, at 4.30am on Tuesday.
Murder squad detectives believed that the victims - both in their 20s - were standing outside the block when they were approached by two men on foot.
The gunmen opened fire before running off in an unknown direction.
The first victim died at the scene shortly after 5am. A post-mortem will take place in due course and police are still trying to contact next of kin to formally identify him.
You may also want to watch:
The second victim was taken to an east London hospital where he remains in a critical condition. His next of kin have been informed.
An incident room has opened at Barking under Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Clayman from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, but so far there have been no arrests.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 7 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
DCI Clayman said: “We appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident who may have seen or heard anything suspicious, or has any information about this incident, to contact us in confidence.”
- Anyone that can assist police should call the incident room on 020 8345 3775, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.