Police name teenager stabbed to death on his bike in Islington
- Credit: Archant
The teenager stabbed to death while riding his bike in Islington last night has been named as 15-year-old Alan Cartwright.
Police believe the victim was with friends heading up Caledonian Road, near the junction with Copenhagen Street, Islington, when the group were attacked by three men heading in the opposite direction at about 7.30pm.
The teenager, who is from Islington, managed to continue cycling for a short distance after the assault, but soon collapsed and was later pronounced dead at the scene from a single stab wound.
The suspects made off, continuing south down Caledonian Road, and are thought to have stolen two of the group’s bikes.
A murder investigation has been launched and officers from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said they “retain an open mind as to the motive”.
Det Ch Insp Chris Jones, who is leading the investigation said: “Caledonian Road would have been very busy at the time of the incident and I would appeal to anyone who witnessed this attack, or may have any information as to who is responsible, to come forward and speak to police.”
Any witnesses, or anyone with information, is urged to call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 3 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 4 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 5 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 6 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 9 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
- 10 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
No arrests have been made.
A spokesman for the Met Police added: “Islington police will be carrying out patrols in the area to provide reassurance to the local community. Anyone with concerns should speak to officers directly or contact their local Neighbourhood Policing Team.”