Second sauna owned by daughter of vice madam who owns Islington premises
- Credit: Archant
Part of the empire of a woman once dubbed “the premier league of London madams” is allegedly continuing to operate 10 years after her death.
Last week the Gazette reported how Aqua Sauna, Holloway, was once part of Josephine Daly’s multi-million pound vice empire, is applying for a special treatments licence despite police fears girls working there could be put at risk of “harm” or “exploitation.”
The Hornsey Road premises is owned by Daly’s daughter Emelia Tawiah, who lived with her in Hornsey Lane, Highgate. But Ms Tawiah insists she has no part in the running of the business, which has applied to Islington Council.
It also emerged this week that Ms Tawiah is the listed owner of another property advertising itself as a sauna – Lanacombe Sauna – just over the borough border in Crouch End Hill, Haringey, which is also applying for a special treatments licence.
Police and Haringey Council this week confirmed Lanacombe Sauna – the same name as another sauna which was part of Daly’s empire – is being “monitored”.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Tawiah denied knowing what either of the premises – for which she is the listed owner, according to Land Registry documents – are being used for.
The Gazette visited her at the Hornsey Lane seven-bedroom property, named Bunty’s Corner after a dog buried in the garden, where she told us that her mother had died 10 years ago.
- 1 Can you help identify this man?
- 2 Islington mayor complains about ‘saturation’ of licenced venues in Archway
- 3 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 4 Bowie-inspired bar in Finsbury Park faces opposition
- 5 Church closes Highgate path over 'antisocial behaviour and assault'
- 6 Climate change: Nurture nature
- 7 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 8 Islington pays tribute to Prince Philip who has died, aged 99
- 9 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 10 Alex Smith murder: Abdirahman Ibrahim found guilty
Speaking of the allegations she added: “This is the first I’ve heard of it. I lease them out.
“I don’t know what they are being used for. I only see the person I lease the one out to in Hornsey Road [Aqua Sauna] once every three months.”
The Gazette contacted Lanacombe Sauna on Sunday, when we were told by the receptionist there is a £20 “entry fee” before a £120 an hour charge with any of the on-duty girls. When asked if this included sex, the receptionist said: “You discuss that with the lady, Sir. I can’t answer that, I really can’t.”
Meanwhile another premises owned by Ms Tawiah since 1995, formerly Ishka Bath & Massage, in Hampden Road, Haringey, was shut down “some years ago”, said police.
Islington police and council are opposing Aqua Sauna’s application for a special treatments licence for massage and steam room facilities.