Seven arrested as flare toting Galatasaray fans cause havoc at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Police made seven arrests last night as Galatasaray fans threw lit flares on the pitch at the Emirates Stadium and outside a Holloway Pub.
The Turkish fans caused havoc in their away Champions League tie with Arsenal, which the gunners won 4-1, causing the game to be stopped briefly towards the end of the first half.
Flares were also thrown near the Tollington Pub in Hornsey Road before the game, and fans marched with the lit pyrotechnics up Holloway Road.
It comes after three were arrested at Arsenal’s last home European game – when another Turkish club, Besiktas, also lit flares.
Besiktas will be in North London again tonight, as they visit White Hart Lane for their Europa League fixture with Tottenham.
Two men were arrested before last night’s game for trying to enter the ground with flares, but police were unable to prevent other Turkish fans from bringing them into the ground, and players and stewards were forced to remove the bright flames from the pitch.
One man was arrested for throwing a flare on to the pitch while four other men were arrested – one for criminal damage, one for being wanted on a warrant and two for public order offences.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 7 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 8 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 9 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Police will review CCTV, both from inside the stadium and in the surrounding streets, in order to identify anyone who committed offences.