Seven Sisters Road cafe death: Man, 18, convicted of killing Mohammed Hersi in Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
Teenager Ahmed Hashi has been convicted of Mohammed Hersi’s brutal killing in Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park.
In November last year, Mohammed was subjected to a “frenzied” attack after a minor disagreement with the defendant, then 17.
He suffered “catastrophic” injuries after being hit in the head with a chair, before being stamped on the throat in Bethel Cafe Restaurant.
Hashi, from Hornsey, was convicted of manslaughter by a Wood Green Crown Court jury yesterday.
The court heard how Mohammed, described as a “family man” in his 40s, left his wife and four children at home on November 28 to visit friends in Bethel Cafe.
After a “minor disagreement” with another male, Mohammed left the premises to go home. As he paused at the door, Hashi picked up a chair and pushed it with force towards Mohammed’s face – causing catastrophic injuries to his left eye and brain.
While Mohammed was lying defenseless and unconscious on the ground, the defendant stamped on his throat and body before running away.
- 1 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 2 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 3 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 4 Beloved father choked to death on cauliflower after Highgate Care Home 'neglect'
- 5 Cannabis sweets: the drugs danger that put 17 north London schoolgirls in hospital
- 6 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 7 9 great ways to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Boy, 13, arrested after teenager stabbed in Canonbury
- 9 Jailed: 'Brazen' cannabis sweet dealers sentenced
- 10 Islington shisha smuggler sentenced for £230,000 tax fraud
Mohammed died of his injuries in hospital the next day.
A post-mortem gave the cause of death as a “penetrating head injury”.
Hashi handed himself in to cops at Wood Green police station on December 1, saying he had fought with Mohammed. He was arrested and charged with murder that day.
He denied murder at the trial and after the jury retired on Wednesday, it instead convicted him of manslaughter. He will be sentenced at the same court on June 29.
Det Insp Rita Tierney, of the Met’s homicide and major crime command, said: “This was an excessive, frenzied and completely unjustified attack that has left a wife without a husband and children without a father.
“I know that nothing can replace Mohammed Hersi for his loved ones, but I sincerely hope that they gain a measure of comfort and a sense of justice following today’s verdict.
Ruth Bowskill, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “This was a senseless killing of a family man who had simply gone out to enjoy a game of pool at his local cafe.
“Hashi handed himself in to the police after the attack but then went on to deny the killing, forcing Mr Hersi’s family to relive their ordeal and sit through a trial. However, the prosecution was able to prove Hashi was guilty with the support of witnesses and CCTV evidence.
“Our thoughts are with Mr Hersi’s family and friends at this difficult time.”