Shouldn’t have gone to Specsavers – Chapel Market glasses thief jailed
- Credit: Archant
A thief who stole more than £4,400 worth of glasses from Specsavers in Chapel Market has been jailed for 11 months.
Sami Anka, of St Thomas Street, Southwark, raided the opticians five times in the 12 months leading up to February, making off with 35 pairs in total.
At Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday last week, the 39-year-old admitted carrying out the thefts while on conditional discharge for a 2015 offence.
At an earlier hearing he had been banned from all Specsavers stores in England or Wales until the end of the case.
His biggest haul came on January 3 when he nicked 13 pairs of spectacles.
You may also want to watch:
A member of staff told the Gazette: “He was coming in during busy times of the day and basically taking them then running off.
“It was on CCTV. Police had his profile and they just waited to catch him.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Music production school leaves Abbey Road for move to Angel Studios
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
He was jailed for a total of 11 months.