Shouldn’t have gone to Specsavers – Chapel Market glasses thief jailed
- Credit: Archant
A thief who stole more than £4,400 worth of glasses from Specsavers in Chapel Market has been jailed for 11 months.
Sami Anka, of St Thomas Street, Southwark, raided the opticians five times in the 12 months leading up to February, making off with 35 pairs in total.
At Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday last week, the 39-year-old admitted carrying out the thefts while on conditional discharge for a 2015 offence.
At an earlier hearing he had been banned from all Specsavers stores in England or Wales until the end of the case.
His biggest haul came on January 3 when he nicked 13 pairs of spectacles.
You may also want to watch:
A member of staff told the Gazette: “He was coming in during busy times of the day and basically taking them then running off.
“It was on CCTV. Police had his profile and they just waited to catch him.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 4 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Letters: Holloway Prison site development
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
He was jailed for a total of 11 months.