Shouldn’t have gone to Specsavers – Chapel Market glasses thief jailed
- Credit: Archant
A thief who stole more than £4,400 worth of glasses from Specsavers in Chapel Market has been jailed for 11 months.
Sami Anka, of St Thomas Street, Southwark, raided the opticians five times in the 12 months leading up to February, making off with 35 pairs in total.
At Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday last week, the 39-year-old admitted carrying out the thefts while on conditional discharge for a 2015 offence.
At an earlier hearing he had been banned from all Specsavers stores in England or Wales until the end of the case.
His biggest haul came on January 3 when he nicked 13 pairs of spectacles.
You may also want to watch:
A member of staff told the Gazette: “He was coming in during busy times of the day and basically taking them then running off.
“It was on CCTV. Police had his profile and they just waited to catch him.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 6 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 7 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 8 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 9 Whittington patients increase as Covid 'major incident' declared in London
- 10 Islington and Camden charity connects generations with winter project
He was jailed for a total of 11 months.