Six years for Islington teen who hid gun outside hostel
- Credit: Archant
He claimed it was given to him by two “unknown men” in a car with tinted windows
A teenager has been sentenced to six years detention in a young offenders institution for possession of a firearm.
Erikson Gaspar, 18, left a loaded firearm in a small satchel on a bicycle in the rear yard of the hostel in Caledonian Road where he was living.
CCTV showed Gaspar depositing the bag with the loaded weapon inside on the handle bars of the bike at about 11pm on Monday, February 9. Gaspar then made an attempt to hide it by placing a bike cover over the top. However, overnight on Wednesday, February 11 the wind partially blew the cover off which roused the curiosity of someone from the hostel.
Gaspar, who had previously pleaded guilty on Thursday May 14 to possession of a firearm and possessing ammunition without certificate, was also sentenced for two years for possession of ammunition at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday to run concurrently with his six year term.
You may also want to watch:
Gaspar claimed he was forced to take the firearm from two unknown men in a vehicle with tinted windows who told him to give it to another resident at the hostel. However, Judge Blacksell QC found his account to be a vague and incredible story which he did not accept.
Detective Constable John Vinten, said: “Working In partnership with the local community, Islington police ensured this dangerous weapon and offender were taken off the streets and this weapon cannot now be used with likely lethal consequences.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 5 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes