Speeding driver escapes jail after Archway death crash

A speeding driver who killed a shopkeeper as he crossed the road walked free from court this week.

Ali Oussalem, 40, was driving at up to 52mph when he mowed down Imam Oksuz just yards from the store he ran in Junction Road, Archway.

Mr Oksuz, 46, was thrown across the road by the impact and smashed his head on the kerb, suffering multiple fractures including to his skull.

Horrified onlookers witnessed the late night collision on September 29, 2009, at the junction of Brookside Road and Junction Road.

Mr Oksuz, who owned B&S Wine in Junction Road, was pronounced dead in the early hours of the following morning.

The Turk, who was married with two teenage children, chose a risky place to cross when there was a pedestrian crossing nearby, Blackfriars Crown Court heard.

But prosecutor Emma Smith said the victim may have survived had Oussalem been driving his Vauxhall Astra within the 30mph speed limit.

Most Read

“The collision may still have occurred, but the injuries would have been less,” she said. “This was simply too high a speed.”

Off-duty bus driver Graham Keating witnessed the accident.

The prosecutor said: “As Mr Keating drove along he saw the person step out into the road.

“The next thing he heard was a screech of brakes and a silver car coming from Archway hit the person.

“The person was thrown up into the air by the impact.

“He span around and hit his head on the kerb.’

Oussalem, of Isabella Close, Enfield, claimed to a police officer at the scene he kept to the speed limit and the victim “stepped out between two parked cars”. He denied causing death by careless driving but was convicted.

Judge Marron handed Oussalem a community Order with 160 hours’ unpaid work, which he said was an appropriate punishment for careless driving “more towards the modest level than the aggravated”.

He described Mr Oksuz as a “decent and, from what I have read, quite delightful man”.

The judge said his death was an “absolute tragedy” for all concerned and added: “His loss will resound in his family for a long, long time.” Oussalem was also ordered to pay �1,000 costs and was disqualified from driving for 12 months.