Stonebridge shooting victim ‘serious but stable’
- Credit: Archant
A 24-year-old man shot multiple times in Stonebridge during Thursday’s night of violence is now in “serious but stable” condition, police have said.
The victim, known as “Jay”, had been fighting for his life after being gunned down in Lawrence Avenue just before 8.45pm.
No arrests have been made and detectives from Trident, the Met’s gang unit, are appealing for information.
Neighbours told the Times on Friday morning they believed it was related to a long-standing rivalry between gangs from the Church End and Stonebridge estates.
The same rivalry claimed the life of an innocent bystander in 2016, as reported in the Times.
Joseph Salim, 58, said he feared the incident could mark a return to the crime levels of the ’70s and ’80s, when Stonebridge was notorious for its level of gun crime.
He said: “One of the problems is that new developments in Stonebridge are congesting the area and bringing in the wrong type of people.
“Over there, they’re developing two or three hundred flats and it’s going to go back to how it was in the old days.”
- 1 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 2 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 3 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 4 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 5 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 6 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Raymond Meikle, 48, said: “I love that kid. I knew him growing up and he is a lovely kid.”
Det Sgt Lee James said: “I want to assure the community we are doing everything we can to catch those responsible.
“At this early stage we believe multiple suspects were involved and are retaining an open mind as to any motive”.
“I know there were many witnesses at the scene and I would urge anyone, who hasn’t come forward already, to get in touch.”
The shooting came shortly before a 26-year-old man was stabbed just over a mile away in Rainborough Close, Neasden. Police and medics were called to the scene at 10.20pm and the victim was taken to hospital. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
The same night Andra Hilitanu was stabbed to death in Neasden Lane. Ioan Campeanu, 43, of Neasden Lane was charged with the 28-year-old mother-of-two’s murder on Saturday and will appear at Willesden Magistrates Court later today.
Anyone with information about the Stonebridge shooting can Trident on 101, quoting CAD 7921/31MAY. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.