Taxi driver caged for sex attack on sleeping woman in Highbury
- Credit: Archant
Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career
A black cab driver who sexually assaulted a sleeping passenger in Highbury was jailed for ten years today.
David Perry, 53, was taking a woman in her 20s home from a night out in his taxi during the early hours of January 27, 2013.
She fell asleep in the back of the cab, but woke up to find him sexually assaulting her in Calabria Road, Highbury.
He performed a similar sex attack in Woodford - police managed to catch the pervert using DNA evidence.
You may also want to watch:
Now detectives think he may have preyed other passengers during his 25-year taxi driving career.
Det Chf Insp Samantha Price, from the sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command, said: “Perry’s sentence reflects his crimes and I am pleased that he will now serve a lengthy prison sentence.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
- 10 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
“As the driver of an iconic black taxi, was in a position of trust.
“Sadly, he breached that trust by targeting women who he perceived to be vulnerable.
“Thankfully, those women came forward and reported him to the police.
“Today, I must praise them both for their strength and determination to see him brought to justice.
“Perry was a taxi driver for some 25-years and I must consider the possibility he may have committed other offences that have not been reported to the police.
“As part of this investigation we have made detailed enquiries into his past and eliminated unsolved cases from this enquiry. I would now appeal directly to anyone, who as a result of this case, thinks they may have been raped or assaulted by Perry.
“I would like to reassure anyone worried about coming forward that they will be treated with the utmost sensitivity and specially trained officers will be available to listen to them and support them through each step.”
Anyone who thinks they may have been raped or assaulted by David Perry can call police on 020 8217 6446.
Perry, 53 of Gayton House, Bow, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court this morning after earlier admitting one count of attempted rape, one count assault by penetration and one count sexual assault against one victim and one count of sexual assault on another.
On his release he will spend a further five years on license.