Teen actor stabbed after audition at Holloway’s Pleasance Theatre
AN ASPIRING young actor suffered a punctured lung after he was stabbed as he visited Islington for an audition.
The 16-year-old boy suffered serious but not life threatening injuries after the incident in North Road, Holloway, on Sunday.
A 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with this incident and he has been bailed until April 6 pending further enquiries.
Police say a gang of three went on the rampage and targeted several young thespians – including the 16-year-old boy – who had just auditioned for a play at the Pleasance Theatre, in Carpenters Mews, Holloway.
Pleasance Theatre director Anthony Alderson said: “It was a horrendous incident. From what I have been told it was completely unprovoked. Our sympathies go to his family.”
You may also want to watch:
The boy – who lives in London - was trying for a part in the production of John Godbear’s Teechers which is set to feature in the Edinburgh Festival next year.
Mr Alderson said: “There were a number of gifted young actors who attended the audition. This incident will certainly not stop us. We have had a very positive impact in this area of London. “
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
Police said the gang first attacked two actors at 1pm in North Road because they didn’t have a cigarette.
They then targeted a second group of youngsters near Caledonian Road - stabbing the 16-year-old boy in the back and throwing a traffic cone at another victim.
The knife victim was taken to hospital and several other teenagers were left with cuts and bruises.
Detective Constable Sam Benbow, from Islington police, said: “There’s no suggestion of gang rivalry. The victim was visiting Islington for the first time to attend the audition.
“This was an unprovoked attack. It is quite surprising that it happened in broad daylight.“
The first suspect was white, 5ft 4ins tall, aged 13 or 14, and skinny with shoulder length messy brown hair.
The second suspect was white, 5ft 7ins tall and about 15, with shoulder length messy brown hair.
Police said the third suspect was white, 5ft 4ins tall, about 13 and chubby with shoulder length brown hair and a spotty face.
Anyone with information should call police on 020 7421 0185 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.