Teen who stabbed middle aged moped driver in Barnsbury jailed
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A teenager has been jailed for more than four years after stabbing a man in the chest in a violent robbery.
The 17-year-old from Islington, who cannot be named, was one of three youths who attempted to steal a moped from a 52-year-old man in Barnsbury Park, Barnsbury.
The victim was attacked on January 30 this year after he opened a gate to drive through and the youth followed him in. The teen approached him and threatened him with a knife and then chased him when he ran off to escape.
The teen then turned around and got on the moped. He rode it a short distance but was unable to get past some shrubs, so got off the moped and stabbed the man in the chest. He then ran off through the gates with two other youths that were waiting.
Police were called and the youth was detained nearby. In the process of running off he had jumped over fences in nearby gardens and damaged a door handle as he tried to gain entry into a property in Barnsbury Park.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery.
The teen pleaded guilty at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday (July 13) and was sentenced to four years and eight months detention in a young offenders institute, after pleading guilty to wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm, attempted robbery, having a bladed article in a public place and criminal damage.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules