Teen who stabbed middle aged moped driver in Barnsbury jailed
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A teenager has been jailed for more than four years after stabbing a man in the chest in a violent robbery.
The 17-year-old from Islington, who cannot be named, was one of three youths who attempted to steal a moped from a 52-year-old man in Barnsbury Park, Barnsbury.
The victim was attacked on January 30 this year after he opened a gate to drive through and the youth followed him in. The teen approached him and threatened him with a knife and then chased him when he ran off to escape.
The teen then turned around and got on the moped. He rode it a short distance but was unable to get past some shrubs, so got off the moped and stabbed the man in the chest. He then ran off through the gates with two other youths that were waiting.
Police were called and the youth was detained nearby. In the process of running off he had jumped over fences in nearby gardens and damaged a door handle as he tried to gain entry into a property in Barnsbury Park.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery.
The teen pleaded guilty at Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday (July 13) and was sentenced to four years and eight months detention in a young offenders institute, after pleading guilty to wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm, attempted robbery, having a bladed article in a public place and criminal damage.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park