Teenager Damon Smith in court over ‘explosive item’ after Holloway Road arrest
- Credit: Archant
A teenager detained by armed police in Holloway Road on Friday is due in court this morning, after he was charged with making or possessing an explosive substance.
Damon Smith, 19, of south east London, was charged last night. The item was discovered on a Tube train in North Greenwich on Thursday. Dozens of police swarmed Holloway Road on Friday afternoon when Smith was arrested.
The London Metropolitan University student is accused of unlawfully and maliciously making or possessing an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property.
He is alleged to have made or acquired the substance between October 18 and October 21. Smith will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
A spokeswoman for the Holloway Road university said: “We are aware that Damon Smith, who joined our university as a new student three weeks ago, has been charged by the police.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been in close contact with the police and have been assured that there are no safety concerns regarding our campus or community. We also understand that the police are not looking for anyone else in relation to this case.
“As a welcoming, safe and supportive university, we strongly oppose any illegal activity, especially those designed to spread fear and uncertainty within our communities.”
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 7 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham