Teenager Damon Smith in court over ‘explosive item’ after Holloway Road arrest
- Credit: Archant
A teenager detained by armed police in Holloway Road on Friday is due in court this morning, after he was charged with making or possessing an explosive substance.
Damon Smith, 19, of south east London, was charged last night. The item was discovered on a Tube train in North Greenwich on Thursday. Dozens of police swarmed Holloway Road on Friday afternoon when Smith was arrested.
The London Metropolitan University student is accused of unlawfully and maliciously making or possessing an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property.
He is alleged to have made or acquired the substance between October 18 and October 21. Smith will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
A spokeswoman for the Holloway Road university said: “We are aware that Damon Smith, who joined our university as a new student three weeks ago, has been charged by the police.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been in close contact with the police and have been assured that there are no safety concerns regarding our campus or community. We also understand that the police are not looking for anyone else in relation to this case.
“As a welcoming, safe and supportive university, we strongly oppose any illegal activity, especially those designed to spread fear and uncertainty within our communities.”
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 8 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?