‘These man r moving like Django’ – Twitter reacts to ancient gun haul by Islington police
- Credit: Archant
Cops’ efforts to make the streets safer saw this haul of antique guns handed in – and Twitter has found it hilarious.
The Met are holding a one-week gun amnesty allowing people to safely get rid of firearms, imitation weapons and ammunition.
So far 45 weapons have been handed in, including shotguns, revolvers, rifles and handguns.
Det Ch Supt Jim Stokley, of the Met’s gang squad said: “We’ve had a good response from the public and a number of dangerous guns have been taken off the streets of London.
“If you hold on to an illegal gun, you are putting yourself and your loved ones in danger and you are likely to be arrested and face at least five years in jail.”
However, this haul surrendered in Islington – one without a trigger – has been met with hundreds of responses comparing them to weapons seen in Wild West cowboy films.
Here are some of them:
- 1 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 2 Meet the Islington-based Rangers fans who are helping food banks
- 3 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
- 8 'Let's avoid another lockdown': Warning for Islington to be cautious
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas