This week 30 years ago: Man stabbed in face as brawl erupts outside Martin Luther King Youth Club
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old man was stabbed in the face, back of the head and chest after a riot erupted outside a Holloway youth club.
Police tried to rescue Charles Avhanvhondo as he lay in Sheringham Road outside Martin Luther King Youth Club – but were forced back by dozens of battling teens.
After the hour-long riot was brought under control, Mr Avhanvhondo was taken to Whittington Hospital for emergency treatment.
But cops were met with a “wall of silence” as they tried to trace those involved.
Meanwhile, days before the 1987 general election, the race for Islington South and Finsbury was neck and neck.
You may also want to watch:
Polls had Labour incumbent Chris Smith and the Alliance’s George Cunningham at 36 per cent each.
It was a reflection of the 1983 election, when Mr Smith won the seat from Mr Cunningham by just 363 seats.
- 1 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 2 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 3 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 6 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 7 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 8 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 9 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
In the event, Mr Smith retained his seat – again with a slender majority of 805.