This week 30 years ago: Man stabbed in face as brawl erupts outside Martin Luther King Youth Club
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old man was stabbed in the face, back of the head and chest after a riot erupted outside a Holloway youth club.
Police tried to rescue Charles Avhanvhondo as he lay in Sheringham Road outside Martin Luther King Youth Club – but were forced back by dozens of battling teens.
After the hour-long riot was brought under control, Mr Avhanvhondo was taken to Whittington Hospital for emergency treatment.
But cops were met with a “wall of silence” as they tried to trace those involved.
Meanwhile, days before the 1987 general election, the race for Islington South and Finsbury was neck and neck.
You may also want to watch:
Polls had Labour incumbent Chris Smith and the Alliance’s George Cunningham at 36 per cent each.
It was a reflection of the 1983 election, when Mr Smith won the seat from Mr Cunningham by just 363 seats.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 9 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
In the event, Mr Smith retained his seat – again with a slender majority of 805.