This week 30 years ago: Man stabbed in face as brawl erupts outside Martin Luther King Youth Club
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old man was stabbed in the face, back of the head and chest after a riot erupted outside a Holloway youth club.
Police tried to rescue Charles Avhanvhondo as he lay in Sheringham Road outside Martin Luther King Youth Club – but were forced back by dozens of battling teens.
After the hour-long riot was brought under control, Mr Avhanvhondo was taken to Whittington Hospital for emergency treatment.
But cops were met with a “wall of silence” as they tried to trace those involved.
Meanwhile, days before the 1987 general election, the race for Islington South and Finsbury was neck and neck.
You may also want to watch:
Polls had Labour incumbent Chris Smith and the Alliance’s George Cunningham at 36 per cent each.
It was a reflection of the 1983 election, when Mr Smith won the seat from Mr Cunningham by just 363 seats.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
In the event, Mr Smith retained his seat – again with a slender majority of 805.