This week 60 years ago: Magistrate’s disgust at Islington couple who ‘caused death of two-year-old child’
- Credit: Archant
An Islington couple were given six-month prison terms – over the death of their four-year-old son.
Christadoulos and Kyriacou Nicola, of Wynford Road, escaped murder charges.
The boy died from a ruptured bladder and had severe bruising.
But they could only be charged with assault “in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury” at Clerkenwell Magistrates’ Court.
Magistrate Edward Robey said: “You are both very lucky not to be charged with murder.
You may also want to watch:
“I am quite satisfied in my own mind it was the result of your actions that caused the death of the child.
“You treated it in such a brutal way that I cannot find words to express what I think about you.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Angel Comedy Club launches mockumentary series to save venue
- 10 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
Imposing the sentence, Mr Robey said he could not give a greater term, but added: “I wish I could.”