Three Islington males sentenced over moped phone snatching spree in Hackney and central London
- Credit: Archant
Two men and one boy from Islington have been sentenced over a spate of moped phone snatches in Hackney, the City and Westminster last month.
Jack Burt, 22, of Britannia Row, and Jack Marsh, 21, of Canalside Square, were sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday for two years and four months.
A 17-year-old from Islington was also sentenced on Friday at Chelmsford Youth Court to a six-month detention and training order. All three had pleaded guilty to six counts of theft.
At about 2.15am on January 2, police received reports of moped phone snatches across Hackney, the City and Westminster. Just under an hour later, police located two mopeds with three riders in King’s Cross.
They initially failed to stop for police, prompting cops to use “authorised tactics” to get them. Ten phones were recovered, several being identified as stolen during the spate of snatches.
You may also want to watch:
Burt and Marsh were also disqualified from driving for two years, and all three were given a two-year criminal behaviour order banning them from Westminster once their sentences end.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 5 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 8 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?