Tottenham man fined for spouting racist abuse at Finsbury Park after Arsenal match
- Credit: Archant
A man has been fined for racially abusing a Tube worker because she told him not to block an exit.
Melton Collington, 45, of Pembury Road, Tottenham, subjected a woman working at Finsbury Park Underground station to an “intimidating and frightening experience” on Saturday November 10 last year, an officer said.
Collington threatened the woman and spouted racist abuse after she asked him to move away because he was blocking the station’s Wells Terrace entrance.
The incident took place after an Arsenal versus Fulham match, when Finsbury Park was swamped with fans and that entry was being used as an exit only. Collington had already been told he would have to walk around to Station Place to get into the station.
He was convicted of racially aggravated harassment on Tuesday at Westminster Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay a fine, compensation, and costs totalling £420.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Brendan Jones, British Transport Police’s investigating officer, said: “This was an intimidating and frightening experience for a member of staff who was simply doing her job and did not deserve to be spoken to in this manner.
“Tube staff should not have to endure abuse or violence at work and we will seek to arrest and prosecute anyone who thinks this type of behaviour is acceptable.”
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 3 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 4 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school