Tottenham man fined for spouting racist abuse at Finsbury Park after Arsenal match
- Credit: Archant
A man has been fined for racially abusing a Tube worker because she told him not to block an exit.
Melton Collington, 45, of Pembury Road, Tottenham, subjected a woman working at Finsbury Park Underground station to an “intimidating and frightening experience” on Saturday November 10 last year, an officer said.
Collington threatened the woman and spouted racist abuse after she asked him to move away because he was blocking the station’s Wells Terrace entrance.
The incident took place after an Arsenal versus Fulham match, when Finsbury Park was swamped with fans and that entry was being used as an exit only. Collington had already been told he would have to walk around to Station Place to get into the station.
He was convicted of racially aggravated harassment on Tuesday at Westminster Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay a fine, compensation, and costs totalling £420.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Brendan Jones, British Transport Police’s investigating officer, said: “This was an intimidating and frightening experience for a member of staff who was simply doing her job and did not deserve to be spoken to in this manner.
“Tube staff should not have to endure abuse or violence at work and we will seek to arrest and prosecute anyone who thinks this type of behaviour is acceptable.”
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 5 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 6 How much do you know about Islington?
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 10 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary