Trial date set for Islington couple accused of murdering their baby
A YOUNG couple accused of murdering their four month-old son are to stand trial in May next year.
Mother Chana Al-Alas, 18, and father Rohan Wray, 21, allegedly subjected baby Jayden Wray to months of abuse before his death on July 25 last year.
He had suffered serious head injuries and fractures to his arm, leg and hands at the family home on the Barnsbury Estate, off Copenhagen street, Islington. Both parents appeared together in the dock of the Old Bailey for a plea and case management hearing.
They are charged with murder and causing or allowing the death of a child. No pleas were entered and the case was adjourned for three weeks.
Judge Stephen Kramer set a provisional trial date of May 3 next year. The case is expected to last between four and six weeks.
You may also want to watch:
Al-Alas and Wray, who both still live in the Islington area, are on bail on condition of residence, a �20,000 surety and that they do not contact each other.
Baby Jayden Wray was born on March 7 last year and was taken to hospital on July 22. He died three days later after being transferred to Great Ormond Street.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’