Tufnell Park murder: Man, 25, stabbed to death ‘over phone snatch’
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched after a 25-year-old man was stabbed to death in Tufnell Park last night.
Police officers were called to Corinne Road near the junction with Brecknock Road just before 9.30pm. They found the victim with knife injuries and gave him first aid but he died at the scene 40 minutes later.
A motorcyclist who was passing the junction of Lady Margaret Road and Brecknock Road shortly before the incident told the Gazette this morning he believed it had been over a stolen mobile phone.
Speaking at the scene, Felipe Carvalho, 31, said: “I had just finished my job and was on my way home because I live nearby.
“The attacker had a black bag and pulled a big knife out of it. It was a big crocodile type knife about 60cm long.
You may also want to watch:
“The other guy was shouting: ‘Give me my phone back’
“The person with the knife was black and about 18 to 23. The man whose phone had been taken looked Indian and was chasing him, then the guy stopped and showed him the knife.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 4 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 5 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 6 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 7 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 8 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
“I was so scared. I stopped and was trying to help him. I said: ‘Forget this, it’s crazy.’ I’m so sad now because this situation is all over a phone.
“The last I saw was the guy stop and take a knife from his back, then they turned right on to Corinne Road. That was the last I saw.
“I wish I’d done more to help now but I was so scared when I saw the knife.”
The victim is the fourth person to be stabbed to death in the borough this year after Steve Frank Narvaez-Jara, who was knifed at a New Year’s party in Old Street, Kwasi Anim-Boadu, who was killed on the Andover Estate in April and Marcel Campbell who was attacked at rush hour in Upper Street the following month.
Scotland Yard said the victim’s next of kin have been told and a post-mortem is being scheduled.
No arrests have been made and detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating.
The crime scene is still in place and more officers will be patrolling in the area today. They are hoping to obtain CCTV footage and are carrying out forensic analysis.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police via 101 quoting 8049 of September 18 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Do you know the victim? Call Lucas at the Gazette: 020 7433 0121.