Two men arrested as armed police recover bottle of ‘noxious fluid’ from car in Canonbury
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after armed police recovered a bottle of “suspected noxious fluid” from a car in Canonbury.
The car was stopped, and the men arrested, in Elmore Street at about 6.20pm on Wednesday evening.
A Met spokesman said officers “became suspicious of a car in the Islington area”. The cops tried to stop the vehicle, but it made off.
The car was eventually stopped by armed officers in Elmore Street. A bottle of suspected noxious fluid was recovered, as well as a balaclava.
The men, both aged 26, were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. They remain in custody.
You may also want to watch:
But one eyewitness told the Gazette: “I rather suspect there’s more to it than the given story of officers becoming suspicious of a car. The suspect’s car was hemmed in at the exit of Elmore Street emerging onto Essex Road by a large number of police vehicles, most of them unmarked.
“There were specialist firearms officers and many undercover police. It looked like a planned operation, that the police had the suspects under surveillance.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods