Two men arrested as armed police recover bottle of ‘noxious fluid’ from car in Canonbury
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after armed police recovered a bottle of “suspected noxious fluid” from a car in Canonbury.
The car was stopped, and the men arrested, in Elmore Street at about 6.20pm on Wednesday evening.
A Met spokesman said officers “became suspicious of a car in the Islington area”. The cops tried to stop the vehicle, but it made off.
The car was eventually stopped by armed officers in Elmore Street. A bottle of suspected noxious fluid was recovered, as well as a balaclava.
The men, both aged 26, were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. They remain in custody.
You may also want to watch:
But one eyewitness told the Gazette: “I rather suspect there’s more to it than the given story of officers becoming suspicious of a car. The suspect’s car was hemmed in at the exit of Elmore Street emerging onto Essex Road by a large number of police vehicles, most of them unmarked.
“There were specialist firearms officers and many undercover police. It looked like a planned operation, that the police had the suspects under surveillance.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Children's adventure book inspired by retired greyhounds