Two men arrested as armed police recover bottle of ‘noxious fluid’ from car in Canonbury
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after armed police recovered a bottle of “suspected noxious fluid” from a car in Canonbury.
The car was stopped, and the men arrested, in Elmore Street at about 6.20pm on Wednesday evening.
A Met spokesman said officers “became suspicious of a car in the Islington area”. The cops tried to stop the vehicle, but it made off.
The car was eventually stopped by armed officers in Elmore Street. A bottle of suspected noxious fluid was recovered, as well as a balaclava.
The men, both aged 26, were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. They remain in custody.
You may also want to watch:
But one eyewitness told the Gazette: “I rather suspect there’s more to it than the given story of officers becoming suspicious of a car. The suspect’s car was hemmed in at the exit of Elmore Street emerging onto Essex Road by a large number of police vehicles, most of them unmarked.
“There were specialist firearms officers and many undercover police. It looked like a planned operation, that the police had the suspects under surveillance.”
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart