Two men arrested as armed police recover bottle of ‘noxious fluid’ from car in Canonbury
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after armed police recovered a bottle of “suspected noxious fluid” from a car in Canonbury.
The car was stopped, and the men arrested, in Elmore Street at about 6.20pm on Wednesday evening.
A Met spokesman said officers “became suspicious of a car in the Islington area”. The cops tried to stop the vehicle, but it made off.
The car was eventually stopped by armed officers in Elmore Street. A bottle of suspected noxious fluid was recovered, as well as a balaclava.
The men, both aged 26, were arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. They remain in custody.
You may also want to watch:
But one eyewitness told the Gazette: “I rather suspect there’s more to it than the given story of officers becoming suspicious of a car. The suspect’s car was hemmed in at the exit of Elmore Street emerging onto Essex Road by a large number of police vehicles, most of them unmarked.
“There were specialist firearms officers and many undercover police. It looked like a planned operation, that the police had the suspects under surveillance.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 7 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
- 8 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 9 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 10 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover