Updated: Disturbances in Islington and Holloway
Violence and looting spread to the borough overnight.
There are reports of disturbances in Holloway and at the N1 Centre in Islington overnight. Around 70 youths are also thought to have surrounded Islington Police Station and a police vehicle window was smashed.
The Vue Cinema in Islington is believed to have been evacuated as a precaution.
Islington Council leader, Cllr Catherine West, said: “I totally condemn the criminal damage and destruction across London, which sadly spread into Islington last night. There can be no justification for these acts.
“I am meeting with the police today and would like to thank them for all their hard work in containing last night’s trouble. My thoughts are with our neighbours in Haringey as they begin to rebuild their community following much more serious disturbances.
You may also want to watch:
“Our immediate priority is to ensure these disturbances aren’t repeated and after that we need to see if any lessons can be learnt for the future.”
She added: “These breakouts of civil disorder across London highlight the importance of a well resourced police force.”
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 How much do you know about Islington?
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 'Eidevall has turned Arsenal from believers into contenders'
Riots erupted in Tottenham on Saturday following the death of 29-year-old Mark Duggan there on Thursday, and violence spread across the capital last night (Sunday).