Updated: Disturbances in Islington and Holloway
Violence and looting spread to the borough overnight.
There are reports of disturbances in Holloway and at the N1 Centre in Islington overnight. Around 70 youths are also thought to have surrounded Islington Police Station and a police vehicle window was smashed.
The Vue Cinema in Islington is believed to have been evacuated as a precaution.
Islington Council leader, Cllr Catherine West, said: “I totally condemn the criminal damage and destruction across London, which sadly spread into Islington last night. There can be no justification for these acts.
“I am meeting with the police today and would like to thank them for all their hard work in containing last night’s trouble. My thoughts are with our neighbours in Haringey as they begin to rebuild their community following much more serious disturbances.
You may also want to watch:
“Our immediate priority is to ensure these disturbances aren’t repeated and after that we need to see if any lessons can be learnt for the future.”
She added: “These breakouts of civil disorder across London highlight the importance of a well resourced police force.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
Riots erupted in Tottenham on Saturday following the death of 29-year-old Mark Duggan there on Thursday, and violence spread across the capital last night (Sunday).