Updated: Disturbances in Islington and Holloway
Violence and looting spread to the borough overnight.
There are reports of disturbances in Holloway and at the N1 Centre in Islington overnight. Around 70 youths are also thought to have surrounded Islington Police Station and a police vehicle window was smashed.
The Vue Cinema in Islington is believed to have been evacuated as a precaution.
Islington Council leader, Cllr Catherine West, said: “I totally condemn the criminal damage and destruction across London, which sadly spread into Islington last night. There can be no justification for these acts.
“I am meeting with the police today and would like to thank them for all their hard work in containing last night’s trouble. My thoughts are with our neighbours in Haringey as they begin to rebuild their community following much more serious disturbances.
“Our immediate priority is to ensure these disturbances aren’t repeated and after that we need to see if any lessons can be learnt for the future.”
She added: “These breakouts of civil disorder across London highlight the importance of a well resourced police force.”
- 1 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 2 'Our sandwiches were floating': Islington cafe owner counts cost of burst water mains flood
- 3 Teenager commuted from Highbury to Bristol for A Levels
- 4 A Level results live 2022: Islington schools as they come in
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Guilty: Window cleaner 'crushed victim's heart' as he mowed down two men
- 7 Angel station closures on one in five days due to staff shortages
- 8 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 9 Finsbury Leisure Centre development: 'Something dystopian like Bladerunner'
- 10 Hundreds of novelty teapots on show in Upper Street
Riots erupted in Tottenham on Saturday following the death of 29-year-old Mark Duggan there on Thursday, and violence spread across the capital last night (Sunday).