Victims still in hospital two months after Finsbury Park terror attack
- Credit: Archant
Two victims of the Finsbury Park terror attack are still in hospital two months after a van ploughed into worshippers as they left night prayers.
One of them has lost vision in one eye and the other suffered serious head injuries, Finsbury Park Mosque chairman Mohammed Kozbar told the Gazette.
“A couple of them are still in hospital seriously injured,” he said. “Some of the injuries will affect the victims for their whole lives.”
The Muslim community is still recovering from the attack in the early hours of June 19, but Mohammed said the show of support from the community had been heartwarming.
He continued: “The response has been really good in general and not just from the Muslim community. Everybody in Islington has responded very well with a show of solidarity, and some have offered help.
You may also want to watch:
“If anything good and positive came out of it, it’s how the community got together. We managed to raise £38,000 for the victims and we’ve distributed all the money.”
Worshippers were leaving the Muslim Welfare House in Seven Sisters Road at 12.20am when the attack took place. Yassin Hersi was tending to Makram Ali after he had collapsed in the street when the van was driven into the crowd.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 7 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
Mr Ali died of multiple injuries but Yassin escaped with a broken ankle. The father-of-four, who is married to Holloway councillor Rakhia Ismail, echoed Mohammed’s thoughts.
“The community is doing a really tough job,” he said. “It needs to stay strong. We are living in a multicultural community, we have to be accepting of one another.”
Yassin, who is on the mend, said he and the other survivors would be living with the physical and mental pain of what happened for a long time.
Darren Osborne, 47, of Cardiff, has been charged with murder and attempted murder and will next appear at the Old Bailey in November.