Video: Three Besiktas fans arrested during Arsenal Champions League clash
- Credit: Archant
Three Besiktas fans were arrested last night as the away supporters marched through the borough with flares prior to Arsenal’s Champions League clash with the Turkish side.
One man was arrested for affray and another for possession of a flare, while the third was detained for running on to the pitch during the game at the Emirates Stadium.
A huge procession of fans dancing and singing with lit flares filled Holloway Road as they made their way to the match which the Gunners won 1-0.
Police say two marches took place, one from Finsbury Park made up of mainly German Besiktas fans, with another from Paradise Park for the Turkish side’s Dutch followers.
Holloway Road was the scene of serious trouble involving visiting European fans in October when supporters of Italian club Napoli trashed Arsenal themed pastry restaurant Piebury Corner, smashing windows and leaving one man in hospital.
Despite the previous trouble at European games it was revealed last month that the Met could pull out of policing Arsenal games, due to the cost and lack of resources.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 4 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 5 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 6 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 7 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 8 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 9 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021