Video: Three Besiktas fans arrested during Arsenal Champions League clash
- Credit: Archant
Three Besiktas fans were arrested last night as the away supporters marched through the borough with flares prior to Arsenal’s Champions League clash with the Turkish side.
One man was arrested for affray and another for possession of a flare, while the third was detained for running on to the pitch during the game at the Emirates Stadium.
A huge procession of fans dancing and singing with lit flares filled Holloway Road as they made their way to the match which the Gunners won 1-0.
Police say two marches took place, one from Finsbury Park made up of mainly German Besiktas fans, with another from Paradise Park for the Turkish side’s Dutch followers.
Holloway Road was the scene of serious trouble involving visiting European fans in October when supporters of Italian club Napoli trashed Arsenal themed pastry restaurant Piebury Corner, smashing windows and leaving one man in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the previous trouble at European games it was revealed last month that the Met could pull out of policing Arsenal games, due to the cost and lack of resources.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 4 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 5 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 6 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 7 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 8 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 9 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding