Video: Three Besiktas fans arrested during Arsenal Champions League clash
- Credit: Archant
Three Besiktas fans were arrested last night as the away supporters marched through the borough with flares prior to Arsenal’s Champions League clash with the Turkish side.
One man was arrested for affray and another for possession of a flare, while the third was detained for running on to the pitch during the game at the Emirates Stadium.
A huge procession of fans dancing and singing with lit flares filled Holloway Road as they made their way to the match which the Gunners won 1-0.
Police say two marches took place, one from Finsbury Park made up of mainly German Besiktas fans, with another from Paradise Park for the Turkish side’s Dutch followers.
Holloway Road was the scene of serious trouble involving visiting European fans in October when supporters of Italian club Napoli trashed Arsenal themed pastry restaurant Piebury Corner, smashing windows and leaving one man in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the previous trouble at European games it was revealed last month that the Met could pull out of policing Arsenal games, due to the cost and lack of resources.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder