Violent Holloway sex attacker jailed for life
A sex attacker who brutally assaulted and tried to rape a woman as she worked alone in her office has been jailed for life.
Charles McMullins, 27, subjected the victim to a terrifying ordeal after breaking into the business in Mercers Road, Holloway, on the evening of March 26.
He inflicted a number of horrific injuries on the woman including a broken wrist, perforated ear-drum and severe bruising and cuts, before strangling her until she fell unconscious.
When the victim first became aware of McMullins in her office, she grabbed her handbag. A violent struggle then ensued with McMullins, from Holloway, beating his victim and smashing her head against desks and a filing cabinet.
As she fought back, he ripped down her trousers and tried to rape her. The woman continued to fight back until McMullins tried to strangle her with his arm around her throat, causing her to lose consciousness for some time.
You may also want to watch:
When she came round, the victim was missing her underwear and phone, and her attacker had fled the scene.
She immediately called police who arrived to find her cowering in a corner of the office, covered in blood. She required overnight treatment at the Whittington Hospital.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 7 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
Following an investigation led by officers from Sapphire, McMullins was arrested on April 8 and charged with attempted rape and assault the following day. He pleaded guilty less than three weeks later.
He was jailed for life with a recommendation he serve a minimum of 11 years at Blackfriars Crown Court on Tuesday.
Det Ch Insp Colin Smith, from Sapphire, said: “This was a horrific ordeal for the victim who, despite being seriously assaulted, managed to bravely fight off her attacker until eventually being knocked unconscious.
“Officers from Sapphire and Islington borough worked together tirelessly to identify McMullins and locate him before he could attack again.
“Sapphire officers continued to work to secure solid evidence and, with the support of the victim, were able to provide such a strong case that it left McMullins little option but to put in an early plea of guilty. It is hoped the sentence may go some way towards helping and reassuring the victim.”