Warning after sharp rise in number of burglaries in Holloway
One of Islington’s top cops has issued a warning following a spate of residential burglaries in Holloway.
Det Ch Insp David Hutcheson said there were around 10 break-ins around the area in the space of five days from August 9.
Homes in Hornsey Road, Tollington Park, Tufnell Park Road, North Road and Holloway Road were all targeted in the burglaries, which coincided with the recent hot weather.
Det Ch Insp Hutcheson said that the items that were stolen were largely electrical, including laptops, and that in most cases the thieves gained entry through open windows.
He urged residents to keep windows and doors shut where ever possible in hot weather, and to use fans to keep cool instead.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “There’s a 20 per cent reduction at present in burglaries in Islington and this is just a small increase which indicates to me that somebody has moved to the area that has potentially been released from prison.”
Det Ch Insp Hutcheson said one of the suspects, who was seen making off from a property in Tufnell Park Road on August 9 at around 10pm, was described as a white male of around 16 years of age.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 6 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 7 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 8 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
Anyone with any information can contact Islington Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.