What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Celebrate the start of the weekend with some cocktails and good times at the Lunchtime Disco, from 12noon to 3pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Watch award-winning actor Jonathan Pryce play King Lear as part of Islington’s Olympic celebrations, from 7.30pm at the Almedia, Almedia Street, N1. Tickets star from �8, call 0207 359 4404.
Improve your touch for the start of the new season at these Arsenal coaching sessions for 10 to 19 years olds, from 1 to 6pm at the Andover Estate, N7. Free, call 020 7704 4155.
Start a healthy weekend in style with a 5k morning run, from 9am at Highbury Fields, N5. Free, call 07745 974 577.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 3 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 4 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 7 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 8 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 9 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 10 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
Get down a lunchtime gig from Islington band Roadworks, from 2 to 3pm at the Nags Head Shopping Centre, Holloway Road, N7. Free, visit www.islingtonmhf.co.uk
Make a splash with free swimming for 0 to 16 year olds, from 7.30am to 9.30pm at Cally Pool, Caledonain Raod, N1. Free, call 020 7278 1890.
Have a whale of a time at the Angel Canal Festival, bursting with activities for the whole family, from 11am to 6pm at the City Road Basin, N1. Free, visit www.angelcanalfestival.org.
Consider life, the universe and everything at this philosophy forum, open to newcomers, from 4 to 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Free, call 020 7713 9304 for more information.
Learn the martial art favoured by Bruce Lee at these Chi Kung classes. Every Sunday from 11am to noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday, from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five.