What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Celebrate the start of the weekend with some cocktails and good times at the Lunchtime Disco, from 12noon to 3pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Watch award-winning actor Jonathan Pryce play King Lear as part of Islington’s Olympic celebrations, from 7.30pm at the Almedia, Almedia Street, N1. Tickets star from �8, call 0207 359 4404.
Improve your touch for the start of the new season at these Arsenal coaching sessions for 10 to 19 years olds, from 1 to 6pm at the Andover Estate, N7. Free, call 020 7704 4155.
You may also want to watch:
Start a healthy weekend in style with a 5k morning run, from 9am at Highbury Fields, N5. Free, call 07745 974 577.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
Get down a lunchtime gig from Islington band Roadworks, from 2 to 3pm at the Nags Head Shopping Centre, Holloway Road, N7. Free, visit www.islingtonmhf.co.uk
Make a splash with free swimming for 0 to 16 year olds, from 7.30am to 9.30pm at Cally Pool, Caledonain Raod, N1. Free, call 020 7278 1890.
Have a whale of a time at the Angel Canal Festival, bursting with activities for the whole family, from 11am to 6pm at the City Road Basin, N1. Free, visit www.angelcanalfestival.org.
Consider life, the universe and everything at this philosophy forum, open to newcomers, from 4 to 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Free, call 020 7713 9304 for more information.
Learn the martial art favoured by Bruce Lee at these Chi Kung classes. Every Sunday from 11am to noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday, from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five.