What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Celebrate the start of the weekend with some cocktails and good times at the Lunchtime Disco, from 12noon to 3pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Watch award-winning actor Jonathan Pryce play King Lear as part of Islington’s Olympic celebrations, from 7.30pm at the Almedia, Almedia Street, N1. Tickets star from �8, call 0207 359 4404.
Improve your touch for the start of the new season at these Arsenal coaching sessions for 10 to 19 years olds, from 1 to 6pm at the Andover Estate, N7. Free, call 020 7704 4155.
You may also want to watch:
Start a healthy weekend in style with a 5k morning run, from 9am at Highbury Fields, N5. Free, call 07745 974 577.
- 1 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 2 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 3 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington's John Ryder heads to Texas for big fight
- 6 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 7 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord reported to be on Wolfsburg's radar
- 8 Row over ‘underhanded’ approach derails Amazon Fresh store opening
- 9 Highbury restaurant joins 'recipes against racism' campaign
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
Get down a lunchtime gig from Islington band Roadworks, from 2 to 3pm at the Nags Head Shopping Centre, Holloway Road, N7. Free, visit www.islingtonmhf.co.uk
Make a splash with free swimming for 0 to 16 year olds, from 7.30am to 9.30pm at Cally Pool, Caledonain Raod, N1. Free, call 020 7278 1890.
Have a whale of a time at the Angel Canal Festival, bursting with activities for the whole family, from 11am to 6pm at the City Road Basin, N1. Free, visit www.angelcanalfestival.org.
Consider life, the universe and everything at this philosophy forum, open to newcomers, from 4 to 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Free, call 020 7713 9304 for more information.
Learn the martial art favoured by Bruce Lee at these Chi Kung classes. Every Sunday from 11am to noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday, from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five.