What’s on in Islington this weekend?
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Catch American singer/songwriter Calvin Richardson perform an evening of smooth tunes, from 7pm, at the Islington Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Tickets from �22.50, call 020 7527 8900
Luxuriate with the vocals of Helen Louise Jones as she plays Gershwin and dinner jazz classics, from 9.30pm to midnight, at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Costs �5, call 020 7272 5566.
Take a buggy tour round Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens organised by the Claremont Centre, in White Lion Street, from 2 to 3pm. Free, but reserve a place on 0207 837 3402.
You may also want to watch:
Enjoy sports, music, activities and a fire engine at the Whittington Park Fun day, from 11am to 5pm, at Whittington Park, N19. Free, call 07774 571 355.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 3 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 6 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 7 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 8 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
Wonder at the work of one of Russia’s greats at the Tchaikovsky Gala, from 7.30pm, at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets from �18, call 020 7638 8891.
Take a trip down the Regent’s Canal with a difference – you can explore the boat and help work the locks too – from 10am at the Kings Place, York Way, N1. Costs �6.50 (children �4.50), call 020 7520 1490.
Relish an evening of fine dining, secretive drinking and prohibition-era entertainment, all while raising money for charity, at the Oxjam Speakeasy, from 6pm at a secret Islington location, N1. Costs �39 for three-course meal and the show, or �13 for just the show, visit www.oxjamislington.org.uk.
Improve your four letter wordsmithery with a lewd version of the popular game – Rude Scrabble – all day at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Practise an ancient Far Eastern discipline at these chi kung classes. Every Sunday from 11am to noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday, from 6.45 to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 a lesson or �40 for five.