What’s on Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Hear Grammy-nominated soul legend Candi Staton perform her hits, which include Young Hearts Run Free and You Got the Love, from 7pm at the Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Tickets from �25, call 020 7527 8900.
Take part in gipsy fusion, tribal and Greek belly dancing for the over-55s, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont Projct, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7837 3402.
Join the Candi drummers for a workshop organised by the Finsbury Park Arts Club, from 1 to 3pm in Finsbury Park, N4. Visit www.facebook.com and search for Finsbury Park Art Club.
You may also want to watch:
Be part of the UK premiere of Sibelius’s Kuolema performed by the UK Chamber Orchestra, from 7.30pm at the King’s Place, York Way, N1. Tickets from �14.50, call 020 7520 1490.
- 1 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 9 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
Uncover the joy of Carmelite prayer at Carmel in the City, followed by a bring-and-share lunch, from 11.30am to 3.30pm at St Joseph’s Church, Bunhill Road, EC1. Call 07889 436 165.
Relax with some food and Blue Note jazz from the Matthew Milnes Trio, from 8 to 10.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Free, call 020 7272 5566.
Party like you’re on the islands at the Hot Caribbean Party, with a crazy DJ line-up including Robbo Ranx and The Heatwave, from 11pm to 6am at the 02 Academy Islington, Parkfield Street, N1. Costs �12, call 07921891611.
Soothe yourself with some laid-back soul and funk at Lazy, Hazy, Crazy, from 3 to 8pm at Drink, Shop and Do. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
School your body at chi kung classes, from 6.45 to 7.45pm on Fridays at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1; from 8.45 to 9.45am on Saturdays at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1, and 11am to noon on Sundays, in Providence Court, N1. Sessions cost �10/�12 or �40 for a block of five. Call 07973 622240 for more information.
BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 7
Swap your business card for a free pint at this local networking event, all night at the Clarendon, Mildmay Park, N1. Free, call 020 7249 6430.
Become both strong and energetic at this yoga class, from 10 to 11am at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Costs �1, call 020 7607 9794.
See an award-winning and best-selling comic book, The History of the Brave Czech Nation, recreated as wallpaper and murals, from noon to midnight until August 31 at Lift youth hub, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7527 5243.