What’s on Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Hear Grammy-nominated soul legend Candi Staton perform her hits, which include Young Hearts Run Free and You Got the Love, from 7pm at the Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Tickets from �25, call 020 7527 8900.
Take part in gipsy fusion, tribal and Greek belly dancing for the over-55s, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont Projct, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7837 3402.
Join the Candi drummers for a workshop organised by the Finsbury Park Arts Club, from 1 to 3pm in Finsbury Park, N4. Visit www.facebook.com and search for Finsbury Park Art Club.
You may also want to watch:
Be part of the UK premiere of Sibelius’s Kuolema performed by the UK Chamber Orchestra, from 7.30pm at the King’s Place, York Way, N1. Tickets from �14.50, call 020 7520 1490.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
Uncover the joy of Carmelite prayer at Carmel in the City, followed by a bring-and-share lunch, from 11.30am to 3.30pm at St Joseph’s Church, Bunhill Road, EC1. Call 07889 436 165.
Relax with some food and Blue Note jazz from the Matthew Milnes Trio, from 8 to 10.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Free, call 020 7272 5566.
Party like you’re on the islands at the Hot Caribbean Party, with a crazy DJ line-up including Robbo Ranx and The Heatwave, from 11pm to 6am at the 02 Academy Islington, Parkfield Street, N1. Costs �12, call 07921891611.
Soothe yourself with some laid-back soul and funk at Lazy, Hazy, Crazy, from 3 to 8pm at Drink, Shop and Do. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
School your body at chi kung classes, from 6.45 to 7.45pm on Fridays at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1; from 8.45 to 9.45am on Saturdays at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1, and 11am to noon on Sundays, in Providence Court, N1. Sessions cost �10/�12 or �40 for a block of five. Call 07973 622240 for more information.
BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 7
Swap your business card for a free pint at this local networking event, all night at the Clarendon, Mildmay Park, N1. Free, call 020 7249 6430.
Become both strong and energetic at this yoga class, from 10 to 11am at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Costs �1, call 020 7607 9794.
See an award-winning and best-selling comic book, The History of the Brave Czech Nation, recreated as wallpaper and murals, from noon to midnight until August 31 at Lift youth hub, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7527 5243.