Whittington doctor in court for first ever UK FGM charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A doctor has appeared in court in the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation.
Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, 31, appeared alongside Hasan Mohamed, 40, who is not a medic, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The two are the first to face charges brought under the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003).
It is alleged that Dr Dharmasena, who works at The Whittington Hospital, carried out the procedure on a woman who had given birth in November 2012.
He is accused of repairing FGM that had previously been performed on the patient, while Mohamed allegedly encouraged and helped him.
You may also want to watch:
The defendants’ lawyers indicated the pair would plead not guilty.
Dr Dharmasena sat in the dock wearing a dark suit, alongside the co-defendant, who wore a grey hooded top and trousers.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
The doctor, of Rushden Gardens, Ilford, and Mohamed, whose address was not read out in court, were both granted unconditional bail. They are next due to appear at Southwark Crown Court on May 2.