Whittington doctor in court for first ever UK FGM charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A doctor has appeared in court in the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation.
Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, 31, appeared alongside Hasan Mohamed, 40, who is not a medic, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The two are the first to face charges brought under the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003).
It is alleged that Dr Dharmasena, who works at The Whittington Hospital, carried out the procedure on a woman who had given birth in November 2012.
He is accused of repairing FGM that had previously been performed on the patient, while Mohamed allegedly encouraged and helped him.
The defendants’ lawyers indicated the pair would plead not guilty.
Dr Dharmasena sat in the dock wearing a dark suit, alongside the co-defendant, who wore a grey hooded top and trousers.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 9 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 10 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
The doctor, of Rushden Gardens, Ilford, and Mohamed, whose address was not read out in court, were both granted unconditional bail. They are next due to appear at Southwark Crown Court on May 2.