Whittington doctor in court for first ever UK FGM charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A doctor has appeared in court in the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation.
Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, 31, appeared alongside Hasan Mohamed, 40, who is not a medic, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The two are the first to face charges brought under the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003).
It is alleged that Dr Dharmasena, who works at The Whittington Hospital, carried out the procedure on a woman who had given birth in November 2012.
He is accused of repairing FGM that had previously been performed on the patient, while Mohamed allegedly encouraged and helped him.
The defendants’ lawyers indicated the pair would plead not guilty.
Dr Dharmasena sat in the dock wearing a dark suit, alongside the co-defendant, who wore a grey hooded top and trousers.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 3 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 4 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 7 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 8 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 9 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 10 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
The doctor, of Rushden Gardens, Ilford, and Mohamed, whose address was not read out in court, were both granted unconditional bail. They are next due to appear at Southwark Crown Court on May 2.