Whittington doctor in court for first ever UK FGM charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A doctor has appeared in court in the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation.
Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, 31, appeared alongside Hasan Mohamed, 40, who is not a medic, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The two are the first to face charges brought under the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003).
It is alleged that Dr Dharmasena, who works at The Whittington Hospital, carried out the procedure on a woman who had given birth in November 2012.
He is accused of repairing FGM that had previously been performed on the patient, while Mohamed allegedly encouraged and helped him.
You may also want to watch:
The defendants’ lawyers indicated the pair would plead not guilty.
Dr Dharmasena sat in the dock wearing a dark suit, alongside the co-defendant, who wore a grey hooded top and trousers.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
The doctor, of Rushden Gardens, Ilford, and Mohamed, whose address was not read out in court, were both granted unconditional bail. They are next due to appear at Southwark Crown Court on May 2.