Woman attacked by man with samurai sword
A man has been arrested after a woman was attacked by a man with a samurai sword, police have said.
The Met said officers were called at 12.39am today to reports of a woman being attacked in Holloway Road, close to the junction of Mercers Road, Islington.
The woman, a 22-year-old Italian, was found bleeding by a police sergeant and taken to hospital with wounds to the legs, arms and face.
The sergeant forced the man to ground and arrested him after a chase, police said. The suspect remains in custody at a north London police station.
The Met also said it had seized a large bag containing a crossbow, samurai type swords and numerous hunting knives and gas masks from the suspect.
You may also want to watch:
Det. Supt Steve Wallace of Islington Police said: “This was a vicious unprovoked stranger attack on a defenceless woman and if it had not been for the officer’s bravery and quick thinking the woman and other members of the public could have been killed.
“It takes a very brave officer to tackle a man who you know wants to inflict serious injuries to you with a samurai sword.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
“Courage such as this is above and beyond the call of duty and I can’t commend the officer highly enough.
“The fact that the officer was unarmed and alone when he tackled the man only underlines his bravery.
“He recognised the threat posed by this man and, in a conscious act, positioned himself between the suspect and the public to prevent anyone else being seriously injured.”