Highbury on lockdown as males ‘wield machetes’
- Credit: Archant
Highbury was reported to be on lockdown this afternoon after claims of males wielding machetes.
The incident happened in Aberdeen Park. One witness claimed: “I saw a boy running off and at the same time, a blonde girl ran off in the opposite direction. I found out after from police that she had interfered with an argument the boys were having.
“Then I saw two boys with machetes both in their hands. The boy they were chasing had dissapeared by then.”
A Met spokesman said police had not received any reports of weapons. Islington Police said officers were called to Aberdeen Park at about 2.45pm following reports of “a woman being chased”.
The area was searched but no suspects were found. There were no injures and the incident was not terror related.
You may also want to watch:
Schools were also on lockdown. One man said: “I received a text from my son’s school, stating that the police have issued a security alert and for all kids to go home.”
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 7 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins