Highbury on lockdown as males ‘wield machetes’
- Credit: Archant
Highbury was reported to be on lockdown this afternoon after claims of males wielding machetes.
The incident happened in Aberdeen Park. One witness claimed: “I saw a boy running off and at the same time, a blonde girl ran off in the opposite direction. I found out after from police that she had interfered with an argument the boys were having.
“Then I saw two boys with machetes both in their hands. The boy they were chasing had dissapeared by then.”
A Met spokesman said police had not received any reports of weapons. Islington Police said officers were called to Aberdeen Park at about 2.45pm following reports of “a woman being chased”.
The area was searched but no suspects were found. There were no injures and the incident was not terror related.
You may also want to watch:
Schools were also on lockdown. One man said: “I received a text from my son’s school, stating that the police have issued a security alert and for all kids to go home.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book