Highbury on lockdown as males ‘wield machetes’
- Credit: Archant
Highbury was reported to be on lockdown this afternoon after claims of males wielding machetes.
The incident happened in Aberdeen Park. One witness claimed: “I saw a boy running off and at the same time, a blonde girl ran off in the opposite direction. I found out after from police that she had interfered with an argument the boys were having.
“Then I saw two boys with machetes both in their hands. The boy they were chasing had dissapeared by then.”
A Met spokesman said police had not received any reports of weapons. Islington Police said officers were called to Aberdeen Park at about 2.45pm following reports of “a woman being chased”.
The area was searched but no suspects were found. There were no injures and the incident was not terror related.
You may also want to watch:
Schools were also on lockdown. One man said: “I received a text from my son’s school, stating that the police have issued a security alert and for all kids to go home.”
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill