World famous orchestra comes to Islington
A top European orchestra performs in Finsbury this weekend.
The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, from Amsterdam, is giving a show at the Barbican, in Silk Street, on Saturday night.
Under the direction of conductor Mariss Jansons, the orchestra will play a programme of works by Richard Strauss, comprising Also sprach Zarathustra, Metamorphosen and Der Rosenkavalier Suite.
Then on Sunday, Mr Jansons will give a public lecture on conducting at LSO St Luke’s, in nearby Old Street.
On the days before and after the concert, musicians from the orchestra are holding master classes for musicians of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, which the public can come and watch for free.
You may also want to watch:
The Concertgebouw Orchestra, founded in 1888, is one of the leading orchestras in Europe and was voted No 1 by a poll in 2008.
n For tickets, call 0845 120 7550.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Stephen Lawrence Day: Time for racial equality in further education
- 10 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'