X Factor star Sophie Habibis robbed in Tufnell Park
X Factor star Sophie Habibis was robbed for her iPhone on Tuesday – becoming the latest victim in a rising tide of smart phone thefts.
It is understood singer Sophie, 20, of Tufnell Park, was mugged by a thief on a bicycle who pushed her and grabbed her phone in Tufnell Park Road just before 7pm.
The Gazette reported last week that there were 126 iPhone thefts involving bike-riding muggers just last month, while the number of mobile phones stolen soared dramatically in the year to April, rising by 34 per cent to 3,140.
An Islington Police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that at 6.53pm on December 13, a 20-year-old woman was walking along Tufnell Park Road when a suspect on a pedal cycle pushed her and snatched her iPhone.
“She did not sustain any injuries and investigations continue.”
You may also want to watch:
Former Acland Burghley School pupil Sophie worked in the Whittington Stone pub in Highgate Hill, Archway, before shooting to fame on the back of some stunning vocal performances on the ITV star search.
Sophie, who was mentored by judge Kelly Rowland, was the seventh finalist to leave the talent show.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
She returned to the show on Sunday for the final –which saw girl group Little Mix take the crown – after topping the charts along with her fellow contestants last week, with the charity single Wishing on a Star.