Young Islington couple deny killing their baby
A YOUNG couple have denied murdering their baby son.
Chana Al-Alas, 18, and Rohan Wray, 21, are accused of killing four-month-old tot Jayden Wray.
Jayden, who lived on the Barnsbury Estate off Copenhagen Street, Islington, had suffered serious head injuries and fractures to his arm and leg.
He was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital in Bloomsbury on July 22, 2009, but died three days later.
Al-Alas and Wray, who both live in Islington, appeared together in the dock of the Old Bailey for a plea and case management hearing today (Wednesday).
You may also want to watch:
They both pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder.
Both also denied a charge of causing or allowing the death of a child between Jayden’s birth on March 7, 2009, and his death on July 25, 2009.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
The second charge states that they either caused the death of Jayden Wray by their own actions or failed to take steps knowing that he was at risk.
Their trial is due to take place on May 9 next year but may be put back a week due to the commitments of the court.
It is expected to last between four and six weeks.
Al-Alas and Wray have both been released on conditional bail.